A Brief History of Christian Apostolic Church
In 1930, Reverend Claude A. Spooner was invited to preach a revival in Flint by Pastor Euell E. Drope of the Apostolic Church of Flint. Subsequently, Pastor Drope resigned for health reasons and Spooner was elected Pastor. In December, Claude Spooner’s wife, Cora Esther Spooner, arrived in Flint from St. Louis with the couple’s six children. Pastor Spooners brother Burley came to live with the Spooner family and contributed much to the finances of the early church.
Through the years, the church met at the following locations, in chronological order:
The present location of the church is situated on 18.4 acres at 6350 Fenton Road. Many hands helped to construct the church completed in September of 1976. When Pastor Claude Spooner died January 2, 1960, Reverend Ralph B. Spooner was elected Pastor with David A. Spooner as Assistant Pastor. When Bishop Ralph B. Spooner died April 16, 1985, his brother, Bishop David A. Spooner was named lead pastor. For the next 26 years, Bishop David A. Spooner led the congregation as it enjoyed continued growth.
David’s son, David L. Spooner, with his wife Linda Spooner, was elected Pastor on February 1, 2011. Pastor David L. Spooner has a son Bryan S. Spooner who also is in the ministry with his wife Roberta, two sons Ross and Alex, and daughter Maddison. Pastor David L. Spooner’s daughter Julie Weir lives in Terre Haute, Indiana with her husband, Pastor Merrill Weir and their daughter, Jenna. Since its humble beginnings, Bishop Claude A. Spooner devoted much effort and invested much prayer and many long hours in order to feed the family and keep the Church open during the early years of its existence.